04 November 2007

Grand Cafe & not so grand Chiang Mai

In my attempt to gluten up (don't ask yet), Jon & I tried Grand Cafe today as a backup to Victor's (didn't get there soon enough to order the MANGO WAFFLE before church).

When we got there, the place was sparsely attended, but by the time we left, it was packed w.a line out the door (sorta). The atmosphere & seating was cool.. really was a neighborhood spot. The menu was a simple sort of swank. Jon ordered biscuits & gravy, and it was the prettiest dish I have seen in a while. I was gonna try their fancy 'ham and cheese' (doesn't sound fancy does it, I for sure need to give it a go next time after seeing it in person), but I really wanted fresh blueberries, so I went w.the blueberry pancakes (so simple, yet so nice) instead. The thing I memorized wanting on their menu like 2 months ago was the banana bread french toast, but I made this yesterday for our home-made brunch (which I may say I am quite proud of, sour cream apple + pb banana french toast w.maple apple ham).

We will more than likely go to the Grand Cafe again sometime.. I am looking forward to it (esp. after seeing the dinner specials from yesterday - some nice sounding fish & a spicy vegetable soup w.black beans). Not a value, but a nice meal (plus b1g1 free w.MPR card ;) )

We also forced ourselves out of the house for a sundayfunday w. Bobbi & Becky. Went to Chiang Mai Thai knowing the Thai Bazil is rumored to have had some sort of kitchen problem. After eating their beef (ack) spring rolls & uh.. tom yum (if you can call it that), we are VERY SAD about Thai Bazil. I can't believe Chiang Mai Thai was my old fav. Thai restaurant. Phuket Thai (also defunct) here in Richfield tasted better than this.. *sigh*. RIP Thai food in Minneapolis. We will miss you.

On a more hopeful note, we will be trying some new Asian spots on campus (or at least new to us) soon. Namely: Obento-Ya, Yummy Yummy, Keefer Court & the new digs on campus w.the hot pots. At least they are cheaper.. plus that spot on Nicollet w. momos & tom yum cups. Cross your fingers for us.

~